18 November 2008

291 days and counting

i suppose my first blog entry ever should somehow explain why there is ‘a year of living differently’. here it is: for a whole year i will no longer be waking up @ 7:00am to drag my cappuccino enriched brain to work; instead, i will be waking @ 3:30 & 5:30 & 7:30am (or other) to enrich my new baby boy. for 365 days i will no longer thrive on 12 hours of meetings and spreadsheets; i will, instead, survive on stolen naps and one lonely excel workbook charting breastfeeding and sleeps.

i thought about this blog regularly during my pregnancy; i envisioned hours of happy research: taking photos, going to art galleries, reading, flipping through design magazines and cruising cool websites... i romanticized the collection and documentation of my ideas and images. i’ve always had a thing for words, gathering them up and tossing them into my vocabulary rock polisher for them to be churned and made into my own shiny gems before i used them.

as it turns out – enriching a baby takes a lot if my day: we play and eat and nap and go on walks – little time for research in the last 10 weeks. i rarely have time to read ahead in the one parenting book to have some clue what will happen in his next stage of his development. furthermore, as any new mom or friend or loved one of a new mom will attest, words fail us @ the most inopportune times (most of the time) due to an affliction called ‘mommy brain’. but, here i am and here we go...




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

penfold said...

I can just see him in a little cowboy hat and tiny spurs (talking about the sperm donor obviously). Welcome to blogworld, may the madness commence... x

djbeat said...

how utterly embarassing - i thought we had hidden those!