21 January 2009

symbols

i have been thinking about juan miro - i suppose that is a result of a recent visit to a little gallery over on granville street (chali-rosso - they have amazing original prints from rembrant, matisse, chagall & miro). when i see miro it reminds me of my trip to barcelona & the 'fundacio joan miro'. in truth i knew little or nothing of miro before visiting spain & i am still not a huge fan - but having seen the path his work took from the beginning (a gifted 12 year old) to end (a surrealist with his own niche) left me with a deep respect for him.

i was mostly struck by something fundamental to his work that has stayed with me every since - that is his recognition of and integration of symbols in his work. it made me think of my own life & it's symbols and my art as well. i'm not sure if my icons have changed over my lifetime - i expect they have - these are what i wrote in my journal at the time:
  • stones
  • wings
  • the moon
my painting: 2002 moon shattering stillness

3 comments:

Freckles said...

Is that picture of a Miro? It is shockingly like some of your work.

tNb said...

so ... when can we expect the next series of paintings?

djbeat said...

not a miro - just an old old beat... the next series is partially on board & mostly in my head! though i did get some painting supplies for christmas that should help...